Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 12: Hen Gap Lai!

May 18, 2012
This morning we headed to UEF for our final culture and language class. It was so sad to know that this was our last day in the usual school routine in Vietnam! Over the last two weeks Vietnam has become my home and my Pitt and UEF friends have become my family! After our culture class, reporters from the news came to the school. I had volunteered the first week to be interviewed, so I was one of four people to be interviewed. We just had to talk about what we thought about our trip, the Plus3 Program, our Vietnamese classes, and Vietnam as a country. We are treated like celebrities here sometimes, which we find humorous.
Next, in language class today, we had an oral test! I was so nervous, but we all knew the teacher would grade us very easily. We had 30 minutes in class to review with our teacher and UEF friends before the test. During those 30 minutes, we had to memorize a paragraph where we would talk about ourselves in Vietnamese.  For the test, we were paired up with someone else in the class, and our pairs would then choose a slip of paper that told us what subject of conversation we would be tested on. Our group would have two minutes to prepare, then we would have to go up to the front of the room and carry on a small conversation with our partner in Vietnamese. Afterward, each person in the pairs would have to repeat the paragraph about ourselves we had just memorized in Vietnamese. It all may sound harder than it actually was. I am actually really glad I got to learn more than just 30 words of Vietnamese, but instead learn to actually communicate in Vietnamese. The paragraph said something like:
Xin Chao. Toi ten la Jackie, nou’gi My. (Hello, My name is Jackie, and I am American)
Toi la sinh vien hoc la Dia hoc Pittsburgh. (I am a student at the University of Pittsburgh)
O My, toi la song Pittsburgh. (In America, I am from Pittsburgh)
O Viet Nam, toi di dau Vung Tao, Cu Chi. (In Vietnam, we went to Vung Tao and Cu Chi)
Rat sau nhung thu vi voi va vo…(something like that) (I am tired, but it was interesting)
Xin Chao, Hen gap lai. (Goodbye, see you again)
We were graded on a scale of 1-10 based on our memory of the language and pronunciation. I got a 9/10. 2 people get 8’s, 5 got 9’s and 5 got 10’s. Our teacher said our class learned the language quicker than the Pitt students who came last year.
For lunch at UEF, I had grilled pineapple and rice! I am definitely going to use the chop sticks I bought here when I go home. After lunch was our futbol game against the UEF students/soccer team! I was so excited to get outside, run, sweat and have fun! We actually beat the UEF team 3-2! We had to wear our UEF polos during the games, which made the 100 degree weather even hotter, but I did not care after a while. We played on a mini soccer field with 5 people (2 girls and 3 guys) including a goalie! Our first shift, which consisted of me, Elliott, Tim, Ricky and Hailee, did a really good job! I contribute my effort to the team to Elliott, who patiently practiced with me over the week at the hotel! During the game, locals gathered along the fences to watch us play! We also played a few games with the UEF students after the soccer game and ended by learning a traditional Vietnamese dance. Prizes were awarded at the end and each team received a box of our favorite local fruit and cookies, which we devoured on the bus on the way home! When we got back to the hotel, Elliott and I went swimming because we were so sweaty and gross from the day. We also went swimming because we did not want to pack and think about going home.
For dinner, we went on a dinner boat cruise on the Saigon River with the faculty from UEF. The weather had cooled off to be pleasantly warm by then and the food was delicious. They serviced chicken soup, coconut carrot shrimp salad, shrimp crispies (shrimp with fried rice surrounding them), and noodles with pork. There were also two traditional Vietnamese dancers who performed, as well as live Vietnamese musicians. The view was beautiful along the river, and it made not want to leave the city even more! Small gifts were exchanged at the table, as well as our group presenting our trip guide, Tran, with a picture of our group, which she loved! If I have not discussed Tran yet, she is our awesome trip guide, who goes everywhere with us and helps us communicate in Vietnamese. She is so small and so sweet, and she has even begun to joke with us Americans while we were there.

When we got back to the hotel around ten, our UEF friends were waiting for us. We all were sad they could not attend our last dinner in Vietnam, especially since we have had dinner with them almost every night and they have warmly introduced us to secret places in HCMC. They had decided to spend the last few hours we had in Vietnam with us though, even though it was the middle of the night. Our plan was to leave the hotel at 3 for the airport, so the UEF students came and hung out with us the hotel since us Pitt students had decided not sleep. (I am writing this blog entry as I sit on the plane to San Francisco.) The UEF students then gave us small gifts in the hotel room! Some of them were bracelets of key chains they had made or bought. Most of the gifts had something to do with Vietnam, which also made them special. The room was bursting with friendship and smiles! Around midnight I decided to finish packing. It was so sad to think of everything we were leaving. The students had planned to ride their motorbikes to the airport as well to say their last goodbyes to us! Tears were shed from both parties at our group and the UEF students/Tran said goodbye to each other! We actually were saying “Hen Gap Lai,” which means “See You Later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment